Monday, August 07, 2006

What's a defense attorney to do?

A little game I play in my head as I read the paper: if I was assigned or retained, what would I be able to do in terms of zealous yet ethical representation?

This kid went to the same school as me but really isn't a ringing endorsement for NY public schools or the old hometown. He was stopped, apparently driving his own car while his driving privileges were suspended, carrying narcotics, after an assault arrest warrant was issued for him from a separate incident.

Village police arrested Kazz S. Snyder, 24, and two passengers in Mr. Snyder's 2003 Mitsubishi at 7:20 p.m. Saturday on drug charges.

Police stopped Mr. Snyder, after realizing his driving privileges were suspended and used a drug dog to investigate. Ten grams of cocaine, a small amount of marijuana, some money and the vehicle were seized.



The only hook I can think of, off the top of my head, is to question whether there was good cause for the use of the drug dog, along with making sure that the drugs were found on the person that was charged for each. The fact a simple plate check and/or the arrestee's appearance was known resulted in the stop, and it's hard to argue that when he has a rap sheet longer than your arm.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the kid and his dad. He's a chip off the old block. So are his brothers,although I hope Kennon has learned a thing or two from his twin.

Eighteen year old Kane Snyder was a lovable kid who loved to dance and be around his friends and family.

Snyder recently graduated with his GED from the Colton-Pierrepont Central School District.

Saturday night Snyder attended an underage drinking party in Saint Lawrence County.

Investigators say people at the party saw Snyder drinking a large quantity of alcoholic beverages.


WATCH THE VIDEO
More Information

Teen death

A Colton teen was found dead in his bed. Police believe alcohol played a role.






"He returned home to his home in the early morning hours and indicated to a guest that he had with him that he didn't feel well, ended up going to bed and never woke up," said Gary Miles, Chief Assistant District Attorney.

Sunday morning Snyder’s mother Sharon found her son dead in his bedroom.

He has a younger sister and a little brother, as well. I hope someone has learned something.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Kazz too, and to be honest, he is a really nice person one on one. Those kids didn't have an easy life. I'm not saying that I agree with selling drugs, but I would rather have a drug dealer in the family as opposed to a child molester.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew two of these kids (Kane an Kennon). They were little jerks that picked on the little guys and "freaks" at school.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home