Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Staff

No sites, links or stunning insight today. Just some rambling.

Opposing counsel might point out numerous gaps in my legal education, but there is one area I'm going to admit today. I am not very good at relating to staff. In law school, our sole training on this topic was "be nice to the secretaries." Which...yeah, I know that. My mom is a secretary and I have a lot of respect for the people that actually keep offices running. If law school were truly a professional school, ie, teaching a profession, I think there should have been a little more mention of this. Not that it could be a comprehensive seminar, as every office and every personality makes things different, but perhaps some basic guidelines.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you do have some training in this! First, you are certainly well versed in the art of persuasion! Second, you have training in looking at both sides of an issue, and of course, for many issues there are more than two sides, many sides of gray.

So no sweat, use those gifts! Having said all this, it is true that with some people, nothing is going to work. But really, I think you are being way too hard on yourself.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I know what you mean. I went to a presentation that a partner gives to prospective clients, and says I to myself, "I would have really appreciated knowing all that before I started working." It was about how to negotiate. It was much better than the ADR class I took, which I suppose one could claim would teach those skills.

I have found that law school was definitely lacking in certain aspects of our education, yet I cannot blame them. They only have so much time and so much to teach in that time.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home